One season can be difficult to distinguish from the next here in the Lowcountry, with surprise spring freezes and humid nights that linger into autumn. But there’s one season whose arrival can’t be ignored: hurricane season.
With its official start on June 1st, it’s time to update your family’s hurricane kit. Waiting until a storm is forecast ensures you’ll be scouring the shelves amongst the masses, scrambling to purchase the essentials. But by assembling your kit before you can prevent the panic – and trust that your family is prepared.
Here at West Law Firm, clients come to us after disaster has struck – whether it’s a car crash, workplace accident, slip and fall, etc. That said, we are also eager to help before the storm arrives. Our Berkeley County attorneys believe in the power of preparation, so we’re sharing this supply kit checklist to help you stay safe!
Stock Up On Snacks.
Food & Water
- Nonperishable food (enough to last 7 days)
- Water (enough to last at least 3 days; 1 gallon per person per day)
- Manual can opener
- Paper plates, cups, utensils, napkins, etc.
Assemble the Essentials.
- Medication (at least 2 weeks’ supply)
- Radio (battery-operated or hand-cranked)
- NOAA weather radio
- Cash (in case ATMs and banks are closed)
- Full tank of gas in your vehicle
- Gas for generator
- Special gear for babies, the elderly or those with disabilities
- Clothing (include rain jackets and durable footwear)
Put First Aid First.
- Sterile gauze pads and bandages (various sizes)
- Hypoallergenic adhesive tape
- Over-the-counter meds (antacid, pain reliever, laxative, etc)
- Cotton balls, Q-tips, etc
- Latex gloves
Don’t Forget About Fido!
- Pet food and water
- Leash, harness, muzzle, etc
- Medical records/microchip details
- Supplies for service animal
Make Paperwork a Priority.
- Insurance cards
- Bank account and credit card numbers
- Social Security cards (or copies)
- Birth and marriage certificates (or copies)
- Pharmacy information
- Copy of will
- List of important contacts (hospitals, emergency managers, schools, etc)
Now is the time to prepare, so start checking off items on this list today! To learn more or to schedule your free consultation at our Moncks Corner, SC office, get in touch. Call 843-761-5626 or click here!