Car accidents tend to be as violent and terrifying as they are seriously dangerous, and some of the most painful related injuries are burns. Burns are challenging injuries that can lead to serious complications and generally require ongoing care.
If you or someone you care about has suffered car accident burns as a result of another driver’s negligence, it’s time to consult with an experienced Moncks Corner car accident lawyer.
How Do Burns Happen in Car Accidents?
The massive impact generated by car accidents can also generate immense heat, which can cause accident victims to be burned when they come in contact with the vehicle’s hotspots. In the course of a car accident, the occupants are often banged around violently, and in the process, serious car crash burns can happen.
In especially serious car accidents, one or both vehicles can burst into flames, which leaves the vehicle occupants at serious risk of suffering serious burns. Car accident victims often suffer burns that range from relatively minor to life-threatening, but it’s important to note that even relatively minor burns can have serious consequences.
Types of Burn Injuries from Car Crashes
Most burn injuries that are caused by car accidents are a result of heat or flame that is generated by the accident. The Mayo Clinic shares that these burns are classified according to severity.
Consider the following:
- The greater the percentage of the body that is burned, the more dangerous the injury is.
- When the hands, feet, groin, buttocks, face, or a major joint is affected, the burn injury is that much more serious.
- A burn that is on or near the face can lead to permanent disfigurement.
- The deeper the burn, the more serious it is. When very deep, a burn can affect the underlying ligaments, muscles, and even bones.
Treating Burn Injuries After Car Crashes
There is a wide range of treatments for burns. In fact, serious burns often require the kind of focused care that only a specialized burn center can provide.
Common burn treatment protocols include the following:
- Because burns tend to be immensely painful, careful and ongoing pain management is often required.
- Serious burns often require multiple surgeries to help keep the affected area flexible and pliant.
- As burns heal, complications are common, and the buildup of scar tissue can cut off circulation and require surgical intervention. If the burn encircles the chest or torso, the risk is even greater.
- Cosmetic surgeries are often necessary for burns that affect the victim’s appearance.
- Burn injuries are especially vulnerable to infections, which can prove life-threatening.
- Victims of burn injuries often require ongoing care to address complications and secondary health concerns as they arise.
Your compassionate burn injury attorney has the drive and knowledge to ensure that your medical costs are clearly represented in your car accident claim.
If you’ve been burned in a car accident, seeking medical attention sooner rather than later is paramount, and this is true even if you don’t believe you were seriously injured. A car accident can leave you in a state of shock – with an adrenaline surge coursing through you – which can mask the signs of a serious injury. Seeking medical attention after any car accident is a good rule of thumb.
Compensation for Car Accident Burns
In your burn injury claim, you will seek fair compensation for your full range of legal damages, which refer to your covered physical, financial, and emotional losses.
These are generally classified into the following basic categories:
- Property damage to your car and any of its affected contents
- Your complete range of medical costs, including those that are ongoing
- Your job losses, which can include lost earning potential
- Your physical and emotional pain and suffering, which can be immense in the face of a serious burn
Your burn injury lawyer will ably take on the primary task of including a clear outline of your full range of losses in your car accident claim.
Dealing With the Insurance Provider
If you’ve suffered a burn as a result of another driver’s negligence, you’ll likely file your claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance provider, and while they are paid to cover your claim, there are some important points to keep in mind, including:
- The insurance company is for-profit and will do what it can to keep these profits high.
- The insurance company may offer you an early but lowball settlement offer in an attempt to finalize your claim before you recognize the full extent of your losses.
- The insurance company may overly complicate or drag out the claims process in an attempt to wear you down.
The insurance company’s goal is to settle your claim for less, which makes leaving them in the capable hands of your burn injury lawyer the best practice.
Consult with an Experienced Moncks Corner Burn Injury Lawyer
We at West Law Firm Personal Injury Lawyers in Moncks Corner, South Carolina, have proud, far-reaching ties to the community, and our injury lawyer, E. Mason West, has a track record of guiding challenging cases like yours toward optimal outcomes.
We’ll honor your legal rights and best interests. Your claim and your recovery are important to us. Start your case by reaching out and contacting us online or calling us at 843-483-8630 for more information today.
Burn Injury Case FAQs
How much will my claim cost?
Most reputable burn injury lawyers work on contingency, which means their pay is contingent on – or based on – claim outcomes. Once your claim is finalized, your lawyer will receive a prearranged percentage of your compensation.
Will my case go to trial?
Most burn injury claims settle out of court, and yours will likely do the same. Only if the insurance company refuses to negotiate a fair settlement will your lawyer advise you to file a lawsuit against them.