Making Sure Care Is Covered: Workers’ Comp Edition

If you have been injured on the job, getting the medical treatment you need is crucial. Many injured workers wonder if their care will be covered, fearing that getting better could cause their financial situation to get worse.

West Law Firm’s Workers’ Comp attorneys are here to set the record straight. Our team understands the nuances of SC Workers’ Compensation law, and we’re committed to getting injured workers the benefits they are entitled to.

Here are some of the most common questions regarding medical care for on-the-job injuries:

  1. Can I choose my own doctor?

Simply put, no. For medical treatment to be covered by Workers’ Compensation insurance, you must visit your designated company doctor. If you do not believe that the company doctor provided adequate care, you may request a second opinion. Our Workers’ Comp attorneys can help you get the high-quality medical treatment you need.

2. What type of medical care is covered?

You are entitled to all medical treatment deemed necessary for your recovery. This includes the following:

  • Hospital stays
  • Surgery
  • Medications
  • Prosthetic devices
  • Medical supplies
  • Ongoing care (physical therapy, occupational therapy, etc.)

3. What if the insurance company does not authorize the recommended treatment?

In some cases, your employer’s insurance company may refuse to pay for the treatment the doctor recommends. Because we believe that medical professionals, not insurance agents, should dictate appropriate care, our injury lawyers will file for a hearing before the SC Workers’ Compensation Commission. After hearing the medical evidence, a judge will approve or deny the recommended treatment.

4. What is maximum medical improvement?

Maximum medical improvement is reached when your doctor decides that additional treatment will not improve your physical condition. Once MMI is achieved, your doctor will issue an impairment rating and outline any future treatment. As long as additional care (such as physical therapy or medication) will shorten your disability period, the insurance company must keep paying for it.

5. What if my doctor releases me to light duty work?

If your doctor releases you to “light duty” (modified work at your current place of employment), you must accept it. If you do not, compensation will be discontinued.

If you were hurt at work, contact West Law Firm today! Our Workers’ Compensation attorneys are proud to serve Berkeley County, speaking up for the hard-working employees who keep our community going strong.

Located in Moncks Corner, our office is easy to find! Get in touch today to schedule your free consultation. Call 843-761-5626 or click here!

West Law Firm Logo

Contact Us

Call us now at 843-483-8630 or fill out the form for a free consultation.

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
100% Secure and Confidential