Springtime is finally upon us, sending Lowcountry locals outdoors to enjoy the gorgeous weather. It’s also a great time to do some spring cleaning, with the new season serving as motivation to finally tackle that to-do list.
But at West Law Firm, we know that an accident or injury can ruin a beautiful spring day faster than a pop-up thunderstorm. Our Moncks Corner, SC-based team has compiled this list of simple tips to help keep Berkeley County families healthy and safe – and ready to enjoy the spring months ahead!
Home Safe Home
It’s important to complete these household tasks once a year, and the start of spring is the perfect time to cross them off your list.
- Test smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors – and change the batteries, too.
- Update your family’s Hurricane Kit to ensure you’re prepared for hurricane season’s start on June 1st. Be sure to include enough food and water to last three days as well as flashlights, a first aid kit and other supplies.
- Replace your A/C filter to keep your air conditioner running efficiently.
- Clean out your medicine cabinet, safely disposing of expired medications. Replace over-the-counter essentials like pain relievers, allergy medications and antacids.
- Remove debris from gutters to prevent clogs.
Be Wise While You Work
These tips may seem like common sense, but we know that accidents happen!
- Keep kids away from lawn mowers and other potentially dangerous lawn care tools, like weed whackers, pruning shears and shovels.
- Be sure to wear protective eye gear when mowing, trimming trees or using power tools.
- Avoid falls by placing ladders on firm, even ground and recruit a helper to hold the base.
- Open the windows to increase ventilation before using strong household cleaners that are great for disinfecting but not so great for your lungs.
- Remember to safely store cleaning products out of the reach of children and pets.
Prepare for the Road Ahead
No matter your destination, a well-maintained vehicle is a must.
- Make sure your car is up to date on routine maintenance, like oil changes and tire rotations.
- Replace your windshield wipers to ensure optimum visibility during spring showers.
- Check your tire pressure, correcting any potential underinflation caused by the winter’s colder weather.
- Watch out for wildlife that becomes more active during the spring months, especially at dawn and dusk.
- Be mindful of pedestrians and bicyclists out enjoying the pleasant weather.
- Exercise caution when driving in the rain – and remember that roads are most slippery just as the rain starts!
If an accident or injury does occur this spring, trust West Law Firm. Our team includes attorneys with extensive experience handling personal injury and auto accident cases in Berkeley County and across South Carolina – and we’re here to help!
To schedule your free consultation here in Moncks Corner, SC, call 843-761-5626 or click here.
About West Law Firm, P.A.
Founded by H. Norman West in 1945, West Law Firm has served the Lowcountry for nearly 75 years. Practice areas include personal injury, car wrecks, criminal defense, DUI defense, family law, wrongful death, land disputes, business litigation, probate and estate planning, and alternative dispute resolution.
West Law Firm, P.A.
207 Carolina Avenue
Moncks Corner SC 29461