A drunk driving accident can be deadly, but even if no fatalities result, the outcome is often disastrous – for the impaired driver and the other party involved. One faces a potential lawsuit, while another could face a long road to recovery.
While we’d like to assume that drunk driving accidents are uncommon, the sobering fact is that about 30% of traffic deaths involve alcohol, accounting for 29 drunk driving fatalities a day.1 While these numbers have dropped in recent years, they’re still far too significant to ignore – especially during the holiday season.
Christmas and New Year’s bring a 40% increase in drunk driving traffic-related deaths over the rest of December,2 turning a beloved time of year from festive to fatal for some Berkeley County drivers.
With that frightening fact in mind, West Law Firm would like to issue the following reminder: Even one drink affects the body in the following ways:
- Impaired judgment
- Slower reaction time
- Lack of coordination and concentration
- Decreased vision
If you’ve been injured in a drunk driving accident, you need an experienced attorney on your side. West Law Firm, based in Moncks Corner, SC, will advocate for your rights and fight for the justice you deserve.
Immediately after your accident, follow these steps:
- Move to safety and call 911. Assess the scene and any injuries, moving as far away from the road as possible if you are physically able. Contact 911 and await further instruction from first responders.
- Provide the police with details.
If you suspect that the driver who hit you is intoxicated, tell the police. They will then administer standard field sobriety tests in order to assess the driver’s level of impairment.
- Document the scene.
If possible, exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver. If they are too intoxicated to provide this information, document the scene with photos and jot down any other observations.
- Contact your attorney. Keep in mind that even if you don’t think you’re hurt, adrenaline may be masking an injury. Once it wears off, you may discover accident-related aches and pains. Speak to your attorney before the insurance company to determine your next steps.
1. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
2. U.S. National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA)
About West Law Firm, P.A.
Founded by H. Norman West in 1945, West Law Firm has served the Lowcountry for nearly 75 years. Practice areas include personal injury, car wrecks, criminal defense, DUI defense, family law, wrongful death, land disputes, business litigation, probate and estate planning, and alternative dispute resolution.
West Law Firm, P.A.
207 Carolina Avenue
Moncks Corner SC 29461