Toy trends sweep the nation each holiday season, with a handful of must-have items topping wish lists. From spendy gadgets to silly games, these toys will find their way into countless stockings and gift boxes.
Just as inevitably, each year brings toy recalls – terrifying stories of choking, burns or other injuries. To help keep your children safe this season, the injury attorneys at West Law Firm have made a list – so be sure to check it twice! As you head to the mall or fill your electronic cart, keep these toy safety tips in mind:
- Inspect all toys before purchasing and read the warning labels carefully.
- For toddlers and younger children, avoid toys with parts that can fit in your child’s mouth.
- Make sure batteries and magnets are tightly secured to avoid accidental ingestion.
- Ensure toys, especially those with stuffing or loose material, are durably made.
- Avoid toys with sharp edges or ones that shoot objects into the air.
- Exercise extra caution when buying crib toys and be sure to remove them as soon as your baby can push up into a crawling position.
- Double check the label to make sure all materials are nontoxic.
- Wait to purchase science experiment sets or hobby/craft kits until children are at least 12 years old.
- Dispose of all packaging or plastic wrap immediately.
While this list is certainly not exhaustive, it’s a great start toward preventing injury during the most wonderful time of the year. Proper supervision is, of course, another important part of keeping kids safe – and keeping your holiday season merry and bright.
If a defective toy or poorly made product does result in an injury, our Berkeley County-based team is here to help. Contact us immediately to learn more about pursuing the compensation you deserve.
To schedule a free consultation at our conveniently located Moncks Corner, SC office, call 843-761-5626 or click here!