Workers’ Compensation FAQs

Recovering from an on-the-job injury often requires more than bandages and crutches. From lost wages to medical bills, the financial impact that follows can be nearly as painful as the injury itself.

An experienced Workers’ Compensation attorney, like the ones you’ll find at West Law Firm, can help guide you through the process toward securing the benefits you deserve. We’ve answered some commonly asked Workers’ Comp questions here, but as always, feel free to get in touch!

What Do I Do If I’m Injured at Work?
If you’re hurt on the job, report the incident immediately to your employer. It’s best to make the report in writing, if possible. You may lose your benefits if you do not report your injury within 90 days.

What Is Workers’ Compensation?
Workers’ Compensation provides the following types of benefits:

  • Medical Care – Visits to the doctor, prescription medication, physical therapy, surgery and other necessary treatment will be paid for, as long as you go to the hospital or doctor selected by your employer.
  • Reimbursement of Lost Wages – SC Code of Laws Section 42-9-200 mandates when benefits start and states, “no compensation shall be allowed for the first seven (7) calendar days of disability resulting from an injury…but, if the injury results in disability of more than fourteen (14) days, compensation shall be allowed from the date of the disability.”  Your rate of pay is also calculated by a statutory formula. This formula generally entitles the injured worked to 2/3 of his/her average weekly wage. Benefits will continue while under authorized medical care or until light duty restricted work is offered by the employer.
  • Permanent Disability Provisions – If a workplace accident leaves you permanently disabled, you are entitled to additional funds. The sum is calculated based on the extent of impairment (partial vs. total disability) and your weekly wages.

Do I Qualify?
Because Workers’ Comp is a “no fault” system, an injured employee is not required to prove that their employer is responsible. To receive benefits, you need only show that the injury or illness occurred at, or is related to, the workplace. The experienced Worker’s Comp attorneys at West Law Firm know the system inside and out, and can help file your claim.

Can I Choose My Own Doctor?
In order for your medical care to be paid for, you must visit the doctor or hospital selected by your employer. The care provider will then be paid by your employer or their insurance company. If you choose your own doctor, you will be responsible for payment.

To learn more about workers compensation vs personal injury or any of our other practice areas, contact West Law Firm today. Our Workers’ Comp attorneys are eager to help you get started, ensuring your employer is held responsible for your workplace accident or injury.

Remember, your initial consultation is free, so give us a call at 843-761-5626 or click here!

About West Law Firm, P.A.

Founded by H. Norman West in 1945, West Law Firm has served the Lowcountry for nearly 75 years.  Practice areas include personal injury, car wrecks, criminal defense, DUI defense, family law, wrongful death, land disputes, business litigation, probate and estate planning, and alternative dispute resolution.

West Law Firm, P.A.
207 Carolina Avenue
Moncks Corner SC 29461

West Law Firm Logo

Contact Us

Call us now at 843-483-8630 or fill out the form for a free consultation.

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
100% Secure and Confidential