If you’ve been injured in a car crash, flashing blue lights are a welcome sight. A police officer is on the scene. Medical help is on the way.
Upon arrival, the officer who responds to your call will document the scene in an accident report. While not every report will be this thorough, it may contain the following:
- Date, time and location
- Names of parties involved (including passengers)
- Both drivers’ contact and insurance information
- Statements from all parties (drivers, passengers, witnesses)
- Physical description of the accident scene (weather, road conditions, etc)
- Vehicle damage summary
- Diagram of how accident appears to have occurred
- Contributing factors (speeding, reckless/distracted driving, etc)
- Opinion of which driver was at fault (in certain cases)
The Importance of Your Accident Report
Insurance companies may claim to be on your side, but remember, their main goal is to protect their profits. They will do all they can to avoid a payout, or to pay you less than you deserve for your injuries.
That’s why it’s important to partner with a Berkeley County car accident attorney you can trust. Here at West Law Firm, our experienced team will handle all communication with the insurance company, advocating for the full benefits you’re entitled to.
In the hands of an attorney, an accident report is incredibly valuable. The officer’s impartial description of the scene helps avoid any “he said, she said” between two drivers – and makes it much harder for the insurance agent to deny compensation.
2 Ways to Obtain a Copy of Your Accident Report
- Request it from the South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles. It may take the police officer a few days to finish the report, but once it’s complete, it will be filed with the DMV. Buy yours online here.
- Order a copy from the law enforcement agency (Police Department, Sheriff’s Office, etc) that made the report. Procedures may vary, so contact the agency directly for instructions.
Your Berkeley County Car Accident Attorneys
If you’ve been injured in a car accident in Berkeley County or the surrounding area, contact West Law Firm today. Whether you need help obtaining your accident report or securing the compensation you deserve, our team is ready to put our experience to work for you.
We’ve already outlined the steps to take after your accident, and we’re eager to offer trusted legal advice moving forward.