The risk of a wreck exists every time you get behind the wheel, but driving in some cities is more dangerous than others. According to Insurify’s most recent findings, many of those cities are right here in South Carolina.
Insurify used the number of drivers who reported having one or more at-fault car accident on their record to determine the U.S. cities with the highest proportion of accident-prone motorists. The study was based on over 2.5 million insurance applications – and revealed that the Palmetto State is home to 7 of the 20 cities on the list.
In fact, 4 of those cities are in the Greater Charleston Area, including Berkeley, Charleston and Dorchester counties. Here’s how they ranked:
#16: Summerville, SC
17.5% of drivers in Summerville reported at least one at-fault accident, bringing the national study alarmingly close to home.
#12: Charleston, SC
Charleston ranked even higher on the list, with 18.06% of drivers owning up to at least one at-fault car crash.
#10: Goose Creek, SC
Berkeley County makes an appearance on the list, with a slightly higher percentage (18.14%) of drivers reporting an accident that was their fault.
#1: Johns Island, SC
John’s Island reported the highest proportion of accident-prone drivers in the entire nation, landing our neighbors in the top spot – on a not-so-flattering list.
Driving Safety Tips
Our Berkeley County car accident attorneys have provided some simple tips for staying safe on the roads!
• Always obey speed limits and road signs.
• Use extreme caution where pedestrians or workers are present – such as school zones, cross walks, construction areas, bus stops, etc.
• Never drive drunk or under the influence of drugs.
• Avoid distractions while driving, like mobile devices or loud music.
• Check mirrors and blind spots before changing lanes.
• Perform standard maintenance on your vehicle to keep it in tip-top condition.
• Leave at least a 4-second space between your vehicle and the one in front of you.
• Drive carefully in inclement weather conditions, leaving early to give yourself plenty of time to reach your destination.
• Expect other drivers to make mistakes and always be ready to react quickly.
Be Sure to Buckle Up!
While they can’t prevent a car accident, seat belts can help prevent an injury if a crash does occur. Make sure that every passenger is buckled up properly before hitting the road – especially little passengers in the back seat! Learn more about seat belt safety here!
Contact Your Local Car Accident Attorneys Today.
If you’ve been injured in a car crash in Berkeley County, SC, call West Law Firm today! Our team of experienced car accident attorneys is here to help, starting with your free initial consultation.
Give us a call at 843-761-5626 or click here!