The scent of fresh cut grass and backyard barbecues. The delighted shrieks of kids playing in the sprinkler. The long days and balmy nights that define summer in the South.
While we wouldn’t trade this sun-soaked season for anything, Berkeley County families must keep in mind that summer brings some risks. In fact, hospitals nationwide report a 15% to 27% increase in emergency room visits over the summer months.
The increase in time spent outdoors correlates to this spike, with any number of causes landing families in the ER waiting room. Here are just a few common ones:
- Bicycle injuries
- Heat-related illness
- Swimming injuries
- Dog bites
- Food poisoning
Parents know that not every accident can be prevented, especially when cooped-up kids finally get to enjoy some fun in the sun. Add a sugar rush courtesy of the ice cream truck, and wrangling the kiddos for sunscreen reapplication becomes a daunting task.
These easy-to-follow tips can’t take the sting out of a sunburn, but they can help prevent a visit to the ER this summer.
- Apply sunscreen 20- 30 minutes before sun exposure and reapply every 2 hours.
- Check expiration dates before using last season’s sunscreen.
- Wear a hat or sunglasses for additional protection from dangerous UV rays.
- Dress in loose-fitting, light-colored clothing.
Beat the Heat
- Stay hydrated.
- NEVER leave children or pets in a parked car.
- Learn the signs and symptoms of heat-related illness.
- Schedule outdoor activities around the weather, avoiding the hottest part of the day,
- Always supervise children around water, including swimming pools, lakes, oceans, etc.
- Enroll kids in swimming lessons and encourage them to improve their skills.
- Learn CPR.
- Install a fence around home swimming pools.
- Always wear a properly-fitted life jacket when boating.
The Great Outdoors
- Select a bug repellent that contains DEET (less than 30% is safe for kids over 2 months).
- Learn to spot poison ivy or other itch-inducing plants.
- Check for ticks after hiking, camping or spending time in the woods/high grasses.
- Never leave kids unattended around outdoor grills or campfires.
With these tips in mind, Berkeley County families are equipped to make this summer one for the books! But remember, if you are injured this summer, the personal injury attorneys here at West Law Firm are just a call away.
Our team is dedicated to serving you – no matter the season – so schedule your free consultation here in Moncks Corner, SC today! Just call 843-761-5626 or click here.
About West Law Firm, P.A.
Founded by H. Norman West in 1945, West Law Firm has served the Lowcountry for nearly 75 years. Practice areas include personal injury, car wrecks, criminal defense, DUI defense, family law, wrongful death, land disputes, business litigation, probate and estate planning, and alternative dispute resolution.
West Law Firm, P.A.
207 Carolina Avenue
Moncks Corner SC 29461